You can have fun with a funnel cake without frying it. And you won’t even need syrup to enjoy it! This version of the carnival favorite is made from a dry pancake mix. It’s so easy to make with just a few ingredients and a skillet. This cake uses powdered sugar for the exterior because it gets sticky, but you can also use confectioners sugar for a more refined look. You can even make this in your cabin or home kitchen if you have a stovetop range instead of a built-in oven. Read on to learn how to make funnel cake with pancake mix.
How To Make Funnel Cake With Pancake Mix
- Make the batter. Place 2 cups of pancake mix in a medium bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of softened butter or margarine, and 1 egg. Stir to combine until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a greased skillet and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the top is dry and set. Turn off the heat and let it stand for a few minutes before removing it from the pan and cutting it into wedges to serve with syrup if desired.
- If you do not have an electric stove, use an ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat on your stovetop range. When hot, pour in 2 cups of pancake mix and stir to combine well with a whisk or wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, or until dry and set on top. Turn off the heat and let it stand for a few minutes before removing it from the pan using tongs to cut it into wedges and serve with syrup if desired.
- If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, use any ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat on your stovetop range. When hot, pour in 2 cups of pancake mix and stir to combine well with a whisk or wooden spoon for about 5 minutes, or until dry and set on top. Turn off the heat and let it stand for a few minutes before removing it from the pan using tongs to cut it into wedges and serve with syrup if desired.
Tips For Making Funnel Cake With Pancake Mix
- Just because you’re using a pancake mix doesn’t mean the batter will be runny. You can make it thicker by adding a little more flour.
- The dough should be a little stiff so it doesn’t fall apart when you pour it into the pan. Keep adding flour until the dough holds together.
- Funnel cake uses powdered sugar for the exterior because it gets sticky, but you can also use confectioners sugar for a more refined look if you prefer that look.
- If your pancakes are too high to stack, just cut them in half and use them for funnel cake instead of making two separate batches of batter.
- Use this recipe as written to make 2-inch funnel cakes (or 4-inch cakes). You can also make larger cakes by adding an extra 1/4 cup of batter to each pancake before frying them in batches in the skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- You can also use this recipe to make a single batch of funnel cake. Use the batter for one cake and keep the rest for another use. For example, you can use it to make mini pancakes or waffles.
More Ways To Make Fun With Pancake Mix
1. Pancake Roll-Ups
Pancake mix makes great rolls for breakfast. They are easy to make and fun to eat. You can use any pancake mix, but you may need to add some flour to get the right consistency. Also, be sure to use non-stick spray so the pancakes don’t stick together as they cook. You can even add chocolate chips or other toppings before rolling them up if you wish.
2. Pancake Cupcakes
Pancake mix mixes well with other ingredients and lends itself well to quick bread and cupcakes in particular. Here’s a simple recipe for a fun breakfast treat: just cut out the center of a pancake, fill it with your favorite filling, then bake it like a cupcake! I prefer chocolate chips for this recipe because they don’t melt into the filling, but feel free to experiment with other toppings such as whipped cream or fruit preserves. This is a great recipe to make for parties because it’s fancy enough for guests but easy to put together.
3. Pancake Sandwich Rolls
If you’re looking for something a little different, try this fun recipe for pancake sandwich rolls. It’s a tasty way to use up leftover pancakes from dinner the night before. The biscuit dough is made from scratch, and the pancakes are cut into triangles and sandwiched with the filling of your choice. You can also add your favorite toppings such as apples or strawberries if you wish. This is a great breakfast to take on camping trips because it only requires three ingredients!
4. Pancake Muffins
A muffin in the shape of a pancake? Yes, please! Here’s a fun recipe that makes it easy to get that perfectly round shape every time. The batter is mixed like regular muffin batter (minus the leavening agents), and then the batter is poured into a cupcake pan. The muffins are baked, cooled, and then placed in the refrigerator overnight to set. You can then fill them with a variety of fillings such as pancake mix or fruit preserves.
5. Pancake-Flavored Popcorn
Pancake mix is great for popcorn too! This recipe makes it easy to make your own flavored popcorn at home and gives you the opportunity to experiment with your own toppings if desired. The directions are simple: add 1/2 cup of pancake mix to 4 cups of popped popcorn and heat on medium-low until dry (about 5 minutes). Then add your favorite toppings before serving!
What Are Some Of Your Favorite Recipes That Use Pancake Mix?
1. Homemade Pancake Mix
If you need a quick and easy recipe to make pancakes from scratch, try this recipe. You can also use it to make a protein-filled pancake stack. The mix is easy to use, so if you’re in a hurry or have a young child at home, this is the way to go. It’s also an inexpensive way to jumpstart your morning!
2. Baked Pancake Stack Recipe
This recipe is perfect for when you want something sweet after dinner but doesn’t have time for dessert. This stack of pancakes is topped with sliced strawberries and blueberries. It’s light and fluffy, so it will satisfy your sweet tooth! The ingredient list is simple and the steps are clear with pictures that help guide you through each step of the process. Keep in mind that this recipe makes two stacks of pancakes (or four stacked pancakes). One stack will be enough for one person, but two stacks will be enough for two people.
3. Blueberry and Yogurt Pancakes Recipe
Blueberries are a delicious fruit that you can use in many different ways. This recipe combines them with yogurt for a healthy breakfast or snack. You can also make this pancake stack with maple syrup instead of yogurt to switch things up! The pancakes are sweet and flavorful, so you won’t need any syrup to add extra flavor. If you enjoy blueberries, try this recipe out!
4. Cinnamon Roll Pancakes Recipe
This is another pancake recipe that uses cinnamon to add extra flavor to the pancakes. It’s not necessary to use cinnamon when making these pancakes, but it does give them an extra kick of flavor that you may enjoy! The recipe is simple and uses ingredients that most pantry staples have on hand at all times. You can even swap the applesauce for Greek yogurt if you prefer.
5. Pumpkin Pancake Recipe
If you’re a fan of pumpkin, you’ll love this recipe. The pancakes are made with coconut flour and include cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and pumpkin puree for extra flavor. This recipe is vegan and gluten-free, so it can be used by anyone who needs to avoid certain ingredients. It also uses applesauce instead of butter and it’s easy to make! Enjoy this recipe when you have time to relax at home after a long day!
This recipe makes a fun and easy dessert. You can use it to celebrate a special occasion or make a treat for a casual get-together. Kids and adults alike will love this sweet and sticky funnel cake made with pancake mix. The recipe can be adapted with different ingredients like chocolate or peanut butter. You can also top the cake with fresh or sliced fruit. Try out this recipe or try out new ways to make fun with pancake mix.