You may have noticed that roux is often made with flour. That’s because flour acts as a thickener when it’s cooked, allowing you to control the texture of your sauce. Making a roux with almond flour instead of all-purpose flour or another starch offers additional benefits (and flavor). Almond flour gives your roux an earthy flavor and makes it slightly thicker. If you want to make a roux with almond flour, choose finely ground blanched almond flour. With other flours, the taste and texture of your finished sauce won’t be as good. However, if you can’t find blanched almond flour or another type of almond flour, follow this process using any type of almond.
Can you make a roux with almond flour?
Yes, you can make a roux with almond flour. Almond flour is made from ground almonds, and it has a nutty flavor that works well in many recipes. To make a roux with almond flour, combine 1 cup of almond flour with 1/2 cup of melted butter in a bowl.
How To Make Almond Roux With Almond Flour
Gather your ingredients and equipment.
Gather your ingredients and equipment. This is always the first step in any recipe, but it is especially important here because almond flour is a bit finicky. If you don’t have the right equipment, or your ingredients are not fresh, then you could end up with a lumpy sauce. Fresh ingredients, combined with the correct tools and equipment, will help you create a smooth sauce. What you need: Almond flour – You can find this in the baking section of supermarkets and it is a wonderfully versatile ingredient. Butter – There is no substitution for this, so make sure you have fresh, unsalted butter. A heavy-bottomed saucepan – You can use a saucepan, pot, or even a Dutch oven.
Slowly melt the butter.
As mentioned above, if you start with butter that is not fresh, it could result in a lumpy sauce. Make sure that your butter is smooth and soft. Make sure that it is not too hot or it will evaporate too quickly and you will be left with a tasteless sauce.
Add in the flour, stirring constantly.
You do not want to add the almond flour before the butter melts completely because it will clump up and be very difficult to incorporate. You might find that it does not melt evenly.
Add in almond flour and cook for two minutes more.
This will give the sauce a lovely nutty flavor that goes beautifully with chicken and fish dishes. You can easily adjust this to suit your taste by adding more or less almond flour. Remember that the longer you cook it, the more flour flavor you will impart on your sauce.
Add in your chicken stock and bring to a gentle boil.
This is the step that thickens the sauce and helps the flour to thicken the sauce. Make sure you don’t turn the heat too high, or the sauce will break.
Simmer until thickened (approx 10 mins)
You will know the sauce is thick enough when you can draw a spoon through it, and the sauce coats the spoon. You can always thicken it more by cooking it for longer if you want a really dense sauce.
Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs/spices of choice.
If you want to add a little more flavor to your sauce, you can add different dried herbs or spices. Cumin, paprika, chili powder, sage, oregano, and thyme are all good choices. Just remember that dried herbs and spices bring out a more intense flavor, so use them sparingly.
Enjoy! You’ve just made almond roux !!!
You can use this sauce in soups, stews, casseroles, or even curries. It is a great way to use up any spare roasted almonds you might have lying around. This sauce freezes very well so you can make a big batch and keep it on hand for those busy nights when you need a quick and satisfying meal.
Why Use Almond Flour For Making Roux?
Rich in protein
The main reason to use almond flour is because it is rich in protein. The protein in almond flour is gluten-free and helps to make food moist and tender. This is a great property when you are making roux. When you are making roux, there is a risk that it can turn out to be dry – especially if you are using a low-fat roux. So, almond flour is a great option for you because it will help to avoid this problem.
Almond flour is an aromatic flour that is made from ground almonds. It has a distinct nutty flavor and is commonly used as a baking substitute for wheat flour. It’s also low in carbohydrates and high in protein, vitamins, and minerals. In fact, it contains more protein than wheat flour. It is a great addition to any recipe, especially those that are gluten-free. It’s commonly used in cookies and cakes, but can be used in savory dishes, too. A handful of almond flour can be substituted for any recipe that calls for flour or meal. You can also use it as an ingredient in baked goods, such as muffins, scones, and pies.
Low in Carbohydrates
Almond flour is low in carbohydrates. When you are making roux, it’s important to keep the carbohydrates in mind. That’s because it can affect the desired taste and texture of the recipe. So, almond flour is a great option for you. If you are baking a dessert, for example, you’ll want it to taste sweet. On the other hand, if you are making something savory, you’d like it to be less sweet. The amount of carbohydrates you add to the recipe can make a big difference in the end result. So, it’s important to choose the right flour for your recipe.
Easy to find
Almond flour is often used in gluten-free baking. It’s easy to find and can be found at most supermarkets. If you have a gluten sensitivity, it’s important that you use gluten-free ingredients when cooking. That’s because some of the grains and flours used in gluten-free cooking contain gluten. If you are sensitive to certain foods, it’s best to take precautions and avoid them altogether. With almond flour, all you have to do is buy it in the store and use it in your baked goods recipes.
Health Benefits Of Almond Flour In Roux
- Almond flour is a very versatile product, which can be used as a substitute for wheat flour in many recipes. Almond flour is used to make different kinds of baked goods such as biscuits, cakes, muffins, and breads. Almond flour is also used in making roux because it makes the roux more stable and gives a better taste to the dish. For example, when milk or any other liquid is added to the roux, it will help to bring out the flavor of the ingredients that are cooked in it.
- Almond flour is a good source of vitamin E and other nutrients that are healthy for human beings.
- The oil content in almond flour helps to keep your heart healthy because it contains an antioxidant called vitamin E which protects your body from free radical damage caused by oxidation. Vitamin E prevents damage caused by free radicals that are present in cooking oils such as olive oil and sunflower oil. It also helps to reduce cholesterol levels and increase the HDL cholesterol level in the body.
- The high protein content of almond flour helps to keep your body healthy as it prevents muscle loss and helps to build muscle mass. It also helps to maintain your body weight because it contains more protein than other kinds of flour.
The Side Effect Of Almond Flour In Roux
- Almond Flour is not a good substitute for Roux. It is just a butter substitute. It is not a roux substitute.
- Roux is made from the fat of meat and vegetable oil, while almond flour contains only fat and no meat or vegetable oil.
- Roux has more flavor than almond flour, so it can be used as a roux replacement in any recipe where roux would traditionally be used, including soups and sauces, gravies, etc.
- Almond meal is more expensive than the usual butter or lard (that is why it is generally used as an ingredient in biscuit recipes). In fact, it costs around $2 per pound (1/3 of the cost of regular butter). So if you are making something like biscuits or croissants with almond meal instead of regular butter, you end up paying around $6 per loaf or $12 per dozen biscuits. This also means that if you are making things like quiches, you will have to multiply the original recipe by 1.5 or 2.5, depending on the size of your pan and the type of quiche.
- Almond flour does not have a neutral taste like butter does when it’s added in a roux recipe, so you need to add other flavors to compensate for that taste, which can make things taste bland.
- Almond flour is also not as strong as regular butter or lard and if you use too much it can make things taste too bitter (again due to its lack of fat). So almond flour is only good for small amounts or for “fluff” recipes where you want a subtle flavor but not a strong one (like in French toast).
Roux is a versatile sauce that can be used in many different types of dishes. When you make roux with almonds, you get the added benefit of the almonds’ health properties. Using almonds in your roux also offers a gluten-free option for thickening sauces.